Found this great looking cake at www.simplemodernmom.com. It looks a lot like Mississippi Mud Cake, and that is one of my favorites. I can't wait to try it out. I will let you know when I do try it.
Chocolate Marshmallow Cake
1 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (or use 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Satin Frosting (see recipe below)
- Heat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 13×9 inch pan.
- Bring some water to boil and keep it simmering while you make the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add the 1 cup boiling water and carefully stir until the water is mixed in; beat for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the 13×9 inch pan (batter will be thin).
- Bake at 350ºF for 35-38 minutes or just until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Make the frosting while the cake is baking. When the cake is done, pour the warm frosting over the hot cake.
Chocolate Satin Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
6 tablespoon buttermilk (or use 6 Tbl milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar)
4 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups marshmallows (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, buttermilk and cocoa. Cook, stirring constantly, just until it comes to a boil; remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until the frosting is nearly smooth (stir every few minutes while the cake finished baking).
- Add the marshmallows, then pour the warm frosting over the hot cake, gently spreading until it covers the cake evenly. Cool to room temperature before serving.